1. Why are fees different in different States and Territories?

To eligible students, and where applicable, fees for Government funded course are based on funding agreement requirements. As a result, our fees reflect the separate requirements for each State. This does not mean that your educational outcomes will be different, but rather that our funding agreement within each state guides what we charge.

2. How do I apply for Credit Transfer for study previously completed?

You need to provide us with a ‘certified’ statement of results and/or a Certificate showing completion of study from your previous training provider. Please pdfClick here to download a copy of the Credit Transfer form and submit it to SportsReady Education within 2 weeks of commencement of study. Alternatively, please advise your intention to seek Credit Transfer at the time of your enrolment with us.

3. How do I apply for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) for life skills and knowledge?

The RPL process is discussed with each student during the enrolment process and students are provided with information to identify if RPL can be applied for any units of competency within their course. Applications for RPL are made at that time. To apply for RPL after enrolment, please contact SportsReady Education on 03 8413 3500 to arrange for an RPL Application form to be sent to you. Once the application is returned, you will be contacted within two weeks to arrange a time to discuss the application further.

4. How do I withdraw from my course of study?

If, after consultation with your Field Officer and assigned Senior Educator you still wish to withdraw from your traineeship or course of study, please click here to download a copy of the Withdrawal / Deferral form and submit to SportsReady Education for processing. You have two weeks from submission of this form to apply for any refunds that may be due.

5. How do I apply for a refund of monies paid?

Refund policies are provided to each student and are available in the Fee Structure section of this website. Refund policies are difference for each state based on company policy and/or Government requirements. Refund will only be given in accordance with the relevant policy.

If you are eligible for a refund, a refund application form must be completed and returned to SportsReady Education.

6. If I change my contact details, how do I inform you?

As we are required to have your current details on file in order to contact you or send you Course related material, we ask that you inform us when your details change. Incorrect details lead to delays in a range of things including course completion and recognition of qualification.

Please pdfClick here to download a copy of the Change of Details form and submit to SportsReady Education for processing.

7. If I am not happy with my assessment results, can I appeal this?

Due to the courses being competency based we can only give you a Competent/ Non-Competent grade. Any work not deemed competent will be given back for re-submission at the discretion of the Senior Educator. If you are still not satisfied with your results you may appeal the decision and have your work re-marked by an independent assessor. Please contact SportsReady Education on 03 8413 3500 for a Complaints/Appeals form. Please note that fees may apply for re assessment depending on the State that you studying in.